Friday, May 31, 2013

The Last Five Years

Every five years, like clockwork, there is a reunion of some sort.  The one I am about to celebrate is not one that I can even believe is happening.  In fact, everyone who is of the same age, or close to it, can’t believe that time passed so quickly.  It happens… the difference between our generation and our parents, is that at 50 or 60 or 70, they didn’t feel like they were still 20, or 25, or 30. At least it never appeared so.  They were just what they were.

One of the things we are going to do at the class luncheon is to ask people to describe their lives in 2 minutes, Try it.  Unless you did absolutely nothing but pick your nose, it is almost impossible to narrow what you think was important into a two minute snapshot.

Here’s my snapshot (I knew you were desperate to know).

Got my Masters in Communication Theory (whatever that means), had a baby.  Left out getting married because that wasn’t one of my finest moments. Was a University Professor for sometime.  Accidentally found myself working in Presidential politics. Moved to Washington (where else would you do that). Got married again (this time it was great)  Had another baby. Wrote two political humor books and a documentary.  Decided to write and produce musical theater. Did it.  Moved to NY. Found new family.  Living happily ever after.

Probably left something out but since no one but my friends from college, who are still my friends, could even try to fill in the blanks.  Who cares about health concerns or emotional traumas. They seem not so important in such a great many years. Which brings us back to the reunion.  There are a number of people who are not coming, who we would  have liked to see.  But, for the most part, we see them or speak to them as much as is possible,  so they remain connected to our lives.  Keeping the people we love in our lives is hard work because everyone is somewhere else. But it is well worth the effort. Then, why are we at this reunion?  Did I want to be acknowledged for all my amazing accomplishments.  No, they aren’t so amazing.  Did I want people to say, “Oh, she looks so young. She hasn’t changed a bit.”  Even I, in my most distorted illusion, I know that’s simply not true, even for the people we knew when we were seventeen, and who might still see us through those seventeen year old eyes.

The truth is (and you know how I am about truth), visiting with my kids, seeing one of my best buddies, Soozie, and being able to take a break from Gefilte Fish Chronicles, the Musical, is, for me what this reunion is all about. Most of the professors we admired are dead, or don’t show up. I know, they can’t show up if they are dead. Duh. Oh, and of course, making fun of the people we never liked, is part of the overall joy.

There is too much thinking going on here. So, I’m just going to go to activities, drink a lot, and enjoy the weekend.  Nothing else to say – even though, We’re just Sayin….   Iris

No comments: